Quantity: 8 servings
6 1/2 to 8 pounds honeydew melon
2 teaspoon soybean oil
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (or hot-pepper sauce to taste)
1/2 cup fruity white wine (optional)
2/3 cups (4 large) fresh lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Cut the melon in half.
2. Scoop out the seeds and discard.
3. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh (you should have 8 to 10 cups). Set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
5. Add the jalapeno peppers and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, or until soft.
6. Add the wine and bring to a boil. (If using hot pepper sauce, omit the oil and stir the hot sauce into the wine.)
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, combine the melon, wine mixture, lime juice, honey, and white pepper.
9. In a blender or food processor, puree the melon mixture, in batches, until very smooth.
10. Pour into a large bowl and stir until blended.
11. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until well chilled.