- Wash, remove outer "paper shells." Remove tops and root ends, slice 1/8 inch to 1/4-inch thick. No pretreatment necessary.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for Dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Dry time: 3-9 hours
Test for dryness: Brittle
MU Extension Publication GH1563, Quality for Keeps: How to Dry Foods at Home