2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup (1 medium) carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup tomato puree
black pepper, freshly ground
lime wedges, for serving
1. In a large saucepan, melt the margarine/butter over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, carrot, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 or 4 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are soft.
4. Stir in the butternut squash, jalapenos, chicken broth, and tomato puree.
5. Bring to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes.
6. Mash the squash to a chunky puree with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
7. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
8. Ladle into bowls and pass lime wedges separately to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.Nutrition information: