Quality: Use only crisp, tender carrots.
- Wash thoroughly. Cut off roots and tops; peel, cut in slices or strips 1/8 inch thick.
- Steam or water blanch.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for Dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Steam blanching: 3 - 3.5 min
Water blanching: 3.5 min
Dry time: 10-12 hours
Test for dryness: Tough to brittle
MU Extension Publication GH1563, Quality for Keeps: How to Dry Foods at Home