6 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 pound yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 large ripe tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 medium onions, sliced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped fine or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup bread crumbs
2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated to about 1 cup
Yield: 9 servings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush 13- by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini and summer squash slices with 1 teaspoon salt. Transfer to colander set over bowl. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil until shimmering. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are carmelized--softened and dark golden brown.
- Press zucchini and summer squash slices between layers of paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible, then place zucchini and squash slices in large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, 3 tablespoons oil and thyme. Pour half of the mixture over zucchini and summer squash, toss to cover and then arrange slices in greased 13 x9 baking dish. Arrange caramelized onions in even layer over squash. Layer tomato slices on top of onions. Spoon remaining garlic-oil mixture evenly over tomatoes.
- Bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Combine bread crumbs, remaining tablespoon oil and cheese. Remove baking dish from oven and increase heat to 450 F. Sprinkle bread- crumb mixture evenly on top of tomatoes. Bake until bubbling and cheese is lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.