3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
5 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds kale or collard greens, ribs removed and leaves chopped into 3-inch pieces
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In Dutch oven over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and greens and stir until greens begin to wilt, about 1 minute.
- Add broth and water. Cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender. Kale will take about 25 to 35 minutes and collards 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove lid and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated (bottom of pot will be almost dry and greens will begin to sizzle), 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice and remaining tablespoon olive oil.