- Wash, core ripe tomatoes and cut into quarters.
- Cook over low heat in a covered saucepan, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Purée or force through a sieve or colander and pour into electric fry pan or shallow pan. Add salt to taste and cook over low heat until thickened.
- Spread on a cookie sheet or tray lined with plastic wrap.
- Dry at 140 degrees F.
- Tomato puree may take six to 24 hours to dry. See dryness test below.
- Remove from tray and cool briefly. Place leather on clean plastic wrap and roll up, so plastic separates layers of leather.
Dry time: 6 to 24 hours
Test for dryness: Leather is done when it has a leathery appearance and is pliable enough to roll up in a jelly-roll fashion. Test by separating leather from plastic wrap. If it separates easily it is done.
So Easy to Preserve, 6th ed. 2014