Quality: Use firm fruit of long, soft varieties and fully ripe fruit of round older varieties.
- Wash, peel and slice using stainless steel knife.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for Dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing.
- Condition foods before storing.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Dry time: 12-15 hours
Source: University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Publication: Preserving Food: Drying Fruit and Vegetables