1. Choose medium to large sweet potatoes that have been cured for at least one week. Sort according to size and wash.
2. Cook until almost tender in water, in steam, in a pressure cooker or in the oven.
3. Let stand at room temperature until cool. Peel sweet potatoes, cut in halves, slice or mash.
4. If desired, to prevent darkening, dip whole sweet potatoes or slices for 5 seconds in a solution of 1/2 cup lemon juice to 1 quart water. To keep mashed sweet potatoes from darkening, mix 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice with each quart of mashed sweet potatoes.
5. Pack into containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.
Baked – Wash, trim and heat potatoes in oven at 350ºF without peeling until slightly soft. Cool, remove peel and wrap individually in aluminum foil. Place in polyethylene bags and freeze. Complete the baking in an oven at 350ºF immediately before serving, leaving the potatoes wrapped in foil.