- Dip in boiling water for 30 seconds to loosen skins. Chill in cold water. Peel. Cut into sections about 3/4 inch wide or slice. Cut small pear or plum tomatoes in half.
- Steam or water blanch.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for Dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Steam blanching: 3 min
Water blanching: 1 min
Dry time: 10-18 hours
Test for dryness: Leathery
Quality for Keeps: How to Dry Foods at Home, MU Extension, GH1563