Makes 8 servings
4 medium almost-ripe pears
4 medium crisp apples
1 cup dried cranberries
3 tablespoons water
1 lemon, juice and grated peel
1 cup brown sugar, divided into 2 portions
1 teaspoon cardamom, divided into 2 portions
1/2 cup whole rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup vanilla yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375° F and place oven rack in middle position.
2. Peel pears and apples, cut into quarters and core.
3. Cut into large dice and place in lightly greased, shallow baking casserole.
4. Sprinkle grated peel over fruit mixture.
5. Combine one half the brown sugar with one half the cardamom and sprinkle over fruit.
6. Meanwhile, combine rolled oats, flour, and remaining sugar and cardamom in medium bowl.
7. Add butter and work with a fork until mixture is well-blended butter and crumbly.
8. Add lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
9. Sprinkle evenly over entire fruit mixture.
10. Place in hot oven and bake for 45 minutes.
11. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly.
12. Stir yogurt in a small bowl until creamy.
13. Serve bowls of warm crisp, topped with yogurt if desired.Nutrition information: