- Wash, cut in half and core. Removing peel is preferred.
- Pretreat fruit if desired using Sulfite Dip or Steam Blanching.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for Dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing.
- Condition foods before storing.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Sulfite dip: 5 min
Steam blanching: 6 min (will be soft if peeled)
Dry time: 24-36 hours
Test for dryness: Soft, pliable, no moist area in center when cut
Source: MU Extension Publication GH1563, Quality for Keeps: How to Dry Foods at Home