- Wash. To loosen skins, cut slit in skin, then rotate over flame 6-8 minutes or scald in boiling water. Peel and split pods. Remove seeds and stem. (Wear gloves if using hot peppers)
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Turn large pieces halfway through drying. Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Dehydrating times is 12 to 24 hours. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing. Peppers should be brittle and crisp.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Dry time: 12-24 hours
Test for dryness: Crisp, brittle, medium green
So Easy to Preserve, 6th edition, 2020