- Use only crisp, tender vegetables. Wash. Cut off roots and tops; peel. Cut in slices or strips 1/8 inch thick.
- Steam for 3 to 5 minutes or boiling water blanch for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool promptly in ice cold water. Drain well and pat dry.
- Preheat dehydrator following manufacturer instructions.
- Arrange prepared food on drying trays, leaving small spaces between pieces for good air circulation.
- Move pieces near sides of trays to the center or stir small pieces to ensure even drying. Rotate trays if recommended by dehydrator manufacturer.
- Check for dryness at the end of the minimum drying time, and then more frequently as drying progresses. Estimated drying time is 6 to 10 hours. Let a sample piece cool to room temperature before testing. Slices should be leathery to brittle.
- Package dried foods in glass jars, food storage containers or plastic food storage bags in small amounts. Store containers in a cool, dark, dry area to maintain quality.
Steam blanching: 3-5 min
Water blanching: 2-3 min
Dry time: 6-10 hours
Test for dryness: Tough to brittle
Colorado State University Cooperative Extension Publication no. 9.308, Preparation: Drying Vegetables